Hi, here is my monthly real estate market update with information on house prices in Toronto and insight into what’s happening in the market right now. As well, I am launching some exciting events right into the fall – scroll to the bottom of this post for details and how to participate!
You have probably seen tons of news articles on what is happening right now in the real estate market in Toronto, a lot of the information you’re seeing is confusing! LOTS of people are under the impression that prices have fallen 45% - that’s simply NOT TRUE!
What’s really going on? 3 key things:
1. The number of sales are down 45% versus last year. This refers to the number of real estate transactions, not prices! However, this is a 2 year low for our market, and considering the past 2 years were definitely affected by Covid, this is an interesting fact. Some of this is being caused by the interest rate hike in June, which pushed some buyers to the sidelines as their purchasing power and qualification criteria were affected.
Other buyers are just enjoying the summer and will put their minds back into real estate come fall. Buyers are approaching the home buying process with extreme caution right now, making careful decisions and often making offers that are reflective of where they think the market will be in a few months.
2. As a result of the interest rate hikes and slow sales, prices have dropped in many regions. For homes hovering around the million mark & above - in some areas we’ve seen drops of hundreds of thousands of dollars in home values since the spring peak. And this price drop has affected areas outside of the GTA the most. Remember, the interest increases mean that consumer affordability has decreased, despite price drops in many areas.
Traditionally the summer sees a slowdown in real estate sales, with peaks in Spring & Fall.
3. Prices will likely continue to remain soft in the fall. There will be another rate increase at the beginning of September - likely around September 7. The mortgage professionals I spoke to anticipate this will be a lower hike than in June, when interest rates increased 1%.
As I mentioned before, the fall market usually brings more inventory (and buyers) this fall we may also see additional inventory in the form of sellers who didn’t sell in the summer and took their homes off the market, and the homes where the buyers purchased in the aggressive spring market then couldn’t close. This, combined with the increased inventory we usually see in the fall will likely result in prices falling more.
FALL EVENT ANNOUNCEMENT:
This year I’m planning quite a few exciting events! Some are live and some are virtual – here’s a sneak peek:
1. First time home buyer seminar: August 23, 6:00 pm. Sign up here: FIRST HOME WEBINAR
2. Downsizing seminar series - end of September sign up here: GET READY TO DOWNSIZE
3. Community Shredding event October 22 (Scarborough) Sign up here: COMMUNITY SHREDDING EVENT